What is the microbiome?
The microbiome refers to the trillions of bacteria that inhabit your gut.
• These bacteria work hard and help to power your entire body
• They play a crucial role in digesting the food you eat and help with absorbing and synthesising nutrients
• Gut bacteria are involved in many essential processes including metabolism, body weight, immune regulation, brain function and mood
• Your microbiome began early in your life
• The microbiome is influenced by genetics, stressful events, illness, diet, exercise & lifestyle.
A healthy gut microbiome can:
• Help you lose weight
• Make you feel better
• Support you to have a good functioning digestion
• Aid your immune system
• Support your general health and wellbeing.
Things that will assist your microbiome are:
• Decreasing stress
• To eat adequate amounts of fibre – at least 25-30 grams daily!
• Cutting back on alcohol and medication (if and where possible)
• Eating various vegetables and whole grains, including legumes, bananas (less ripe), onion, garlic, leek, chicory root, artichokes, asparagus, soy and green peas, will supply energy to your microbiome.
Testing and analysis of your gut microbiome are quick and straightforward:
• It is a non-invasive test that can be performed at home
• A personalised report gives you a complete picture of your gut bacteria and their function.
Delving into your gut health can give you a great insight in to any imbalances you may have. These can then be corrected with Naturopathic medicine.
Learn more about Gut Health or book an appointment with me by following the link below